Senior Software Engineer
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Are you passionate about software engineering and social impact? We are currently searching for a Senior Software Engineer with a strong background in software engineering, databases, devops (in cloud environments), and a passion for social impact. The Software Engineer will help build open source data and computational infrastructure and software that underlies our data science/ML projects with government agencies and NGOs in education, public health, criminal justice, environment, economic development, and international development.
Ideal candidates will have 5+ years of industry experience (outside classrooms) building and deploying data-intensive python systems in production, care about the world, and like to work with other people with different backgrounds.
We are a team at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh across the School of Computer Science and the Heinz College of Public Policy focused on using AI, machine learning, and data science to have a positive and equitable impact on society. Our interdisciplinary group works at the intersection of research, practice, and education to improve society and public policy.
- Guide the development of python open source software to enable the research and deployment of Machine Learning and AI for social good projects in collaboration with governments and nonprofits.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team of computer scientists, statisticians and social scientists focused on data science projects with social impact
- Provide expertise and guidance to the rest of the team in building good software and develop tools and methodologies to make that easier
- Guide the development of data and computational infrastructure for teaching and doing research on machine learning and AI with data from multiple government agencies and nonprofits.
- 3+ years of previous software engineering work experience (5+ years preferred)
- Strong Python experience including building, testing, deploying, and maintaining software.
- Experienced in managing and using large, scalable relational databases, ranging from postgresql to redshift. Experience with spatial data (with postgis for example) is a plus. Experience with redis or mongodb is helpful but not required.
- Experience in data engineering and building scalable data pipelines is a plus
- Experience working on real-world problems and passion for making a social impact
- Experience building systems with end-to-end data science workflows from ETL to analysis/modeling to prototyping to deployment
- Experience building scalable data pipelines using workflow tools such as luigi and airflow Experience developing code in a team environment using git
- Experience with managing and developing for/on cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services (EC2, RDS, RedShift, S3, OpsWorks)
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in computer science, information sciences, or another relevant field
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range: $75,000 – $125,000, depending on upon experience and other qualifications.
Carnegie Mellon University offers full-time employees a wide range of benefits, including health, dental, vision, transit, and retirement, as well as parental leave and tuition benefits. You can learn more here.